Monday, February 9, 2015

Where the New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Movie Screwed Up

I shall, today, discuss why the latest, live-action version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles proved such a depression-laden failure because I suffer from the highly contagious delusion that everyone wants to hear my opinion about everything.
I want you to understand where I come from on this one. I grew up on the turtles. I still respect how well the four characters illustrated the four humors (see older post at FictionFormula.blogspot.com). I’ll provide more on that in a minute.
I could spend a lot of my time, and yours, with this discussion, but I’ll narrow it down to the biggest shortcomings that hammered this movie, and I shall, in the spirit of my earlier post, “A Critical Look at Criticism,” try to remain as respectful as possible to the filmmakers.
I remember when I went to see the first live-action Ninja Turtle movie. While the movie didn’t stand flawless, I, like most audience members, felt the effort to make a good movie, the best version of that story possible.
The movie didn’t talk down to me, insult me with a plot that made no sense and contradicted itself.
The older movie advertised Dominos Pizza, sure, but not the way that the new movie shoved Pizza Hut in your face like a He-Man cartoon that demand the purchase of its action figures.
Hell, one character, April, watches her father die two different ways. That couldn’t slip past the editors. The script supervisor alone likely jumped out of her seat and threw a tantrum.
The writers knew that they contradicted themselves and basically reacted with, “The hell with it. Our audience won’t notice the difference. They all seem like idiots.”
The dumbest, least informed child on Earth knows damn well that you can’t remove all the blood from somebody’s body and afterwards bring that person back to life via an Adrenalin injection.
While the original Turtles movie didn’t venture too deep moral premise-wise, it still shared a message, it still managed to provide substance.
The new Turtles expressed nothing greater than a power fantasy, with giant, muscle-wrapped (and apparently bulletproof) turtles for “characters.”
Well, Donatello didn’t possess a lot of muscle. Michael Bay always likes to represent nerds as weaklings because no one ever pointed out to him that nerds like me flood the Turtle and Transformer fan base.
The turtles in this latest movie didn’t even perform anything ninja-ish. They just shoved people through walls. They also pushed April around, both literally and verbally. They threatened her through the whole movie.
Worse, April just smiles and blushes at her mistreatment.
I hate to express an “old man moment,” but that seems a poor example for kids.
“Hey, little boys. If you like a girl, shove and threaten her. She’ll love it.”
“Hey, little girls. Remember, your future boyfriend pushes you around because he cares.”
I hate how badly the writers screwed up the characters in Turtles.
They originally casted a white guy for the role of Shredder, realized that that didn’t make a lot of sense, and decided to split the Shredder and the white guy into two different characters—and then went ahead and explain anyway how a white guy came from Japan (which honestly didn’t require much).
Oh, and the real Shredder’s now a robot (or some damn thing) for no reason.
The turtles themselves felt flat. I mentioned above how well these four characters illustrated the four humors. They did it so well that many college, creative writing professors directly refer to the humors by their turtle equivalents.
Please take note, future filmmakers, that your Michelangelo character can possess a brain. Think Tony Starks (Banner equals Donatello; Captain America equals Leonardo, and Raphael equals Thor).
We see these same characters everywhere. They work wonderfully because their differences complement each other and create friction.
Guardians of the Galaxy?
Star Lord = Michelangelo
Green Chick = Leonardo
The Destroyer = Donatello
Rocket = Raphael
(Tree Guy served as Rocket’s conscience, his Jiminy Cricket if you will)
The new turtles possessed none of the qualities that come with their humor counterparts.
The new Donatello just snorts and acts wimpy.
Michelangelo sexually harasses women.
Leonardo exists. Nothing more to him.
The writers performed a halfhearted, last-minute attempt to give Raphael some depth, but it fell short, just something they shoe-slid in to create a vapor-thin illusion of substance.
The new Turtles proved a lazy, soulless mess. It insulted its audience and likely justified it with, “It’s for kids.”
That excuse shouldn’t fly.

A lot of great movies surfaced while aimed at a younger audience. These movies addressed real topics and moral premises (see my review for Big Hero 6 at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com). They didn’t talk down to their audience. I wish Turtles followed suit.


Thanks for reading.
Daughters of Darkwana received a sweet, succinct review, which you can read here, http://www.thebookeaters.co.uk/daughters-of-darkwana-by-martin-wolt-jr/
         Also, the third book in my series, Diaries of Darkwana, will hit Kindle just as soon as I find out what happened to my cover artist.

I publish my blogs as follows:
Sundays: Movie reviews at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com
Mondays: Short stories at martinwolt.blogspot.com
Tuesdays: A look at the politics of the entertainment world at EntertainmentMicroscope.blogspot.com.
Wednesdays: An inside look at my novels (such as Daughters of Darkwana, which you can now find on Kindle) at Darkwana.blogspot.com
Thursdays: Tips to improve your fiction at FictionFormula.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment